Sunday, March 16, 2008

'tis the season ...

... for the annual Making of the Bailey's Cake.

Those who have known me for a while probably have eaten my Bailey's Irish Cream Cake. By "my," I mean, a cake that was made by me, not a cake that was invented by me. I can lay no such claim to this recipe, but I can attest to the fact that it is universally acclaimed by all who taste it.

Except, presumably, by vegans.

That there are eggs in the cake seem to be no big problem to overcome; The Vegans have figured out many such ways to imitate their binding qualities. But the Irish cream presents another quandary altogether. So when I brought a cake to a gathering this weekend a vegan friend, who partook in the cake in her pre-vegan days and was an enthusiastic distributor of this recipe throughout the Midwest, said the next recipe she was going to Veganize was this one. (Expect a full report here when the mission is accomplished.)

Here is the recipe in its loves-me-some-animal-products form. While I might like to keep it a secret, alas, since it came to me through the good grace of others, I too shall pass it along.

Irish Cream Cake
for the cake:
1 box yellow cake mix
1/4 cup vodka
3/4 cup veg oil
4 eggs
1/8 cup water
1 box chocolate instant pudding
3/8 cup Bailey’s Irish Cream

for the glaze:
more Bailey’s
confectioner’s sugar

Mix all the ingredients together. Grease or spray the bundt pan thoroughly with Pam for Baking. Dump the cake in. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F. To make the glaze, mix about a cup of confectioner’s sugar with some Bailey’s until it makes a smooth, very thick glaze. Drizzle it all over the top of the cooled cake. Enjoy!

No comments: