OK, so my weekend in NYC really wasn't about food. But there were some food-related tidbits I'd like to share.It was pretty cool "girls' weekend" -- my mom and I spent the weekend with one of her college roommates and her daughters who are my age, who were all visiting from California. We hadn't seen each other since, like, seventh grade. It was great.
OK, without further ado. Food highlights:
As I said, they were visiting from the West Coast, home of Pinkberry, the pleasantly tart frozen yogurt sensation which is new to the East Coast. As it happens, there is a new Pinkberry shop right in my old neighborhood, which we just happened upon on a walk. (Good thing it wasn't there then! I would have been such a piggy and eaten it every day.)
It was a nice surprise! I'm not much of an ice cream or frozen yogurt person. But this was tasty. I can't wait to try it with Cocoa Krispies on top. (I'm not just saying that. They actually have random breakfast cereals for you to choose as toppings. The strawberries, though, were excellent.)
It was also NYC Marathon weekend. Did you know that New York apples are the official apple of the NYC Marathon? For real. The things those promotion folks come up with.We had some nice actual meals. A memorable first-night feast in Little Italy, where we caught up over pasta, glasses of wine, and free alcohol-plus-coffee drinks. A delicious large brunch at a surprising diner in Midtown. But probably the most memorable meal was not really a meal at all.
We went to Hooters.
I know, girls going to Hooters is sooo not a big deal. 60-year-old moms going to Hooters might be. And especially the Hooters on West 56th Street in New York. Who knew there was even one there?! We totally wanted to embarrass the moms, but it was actually a completely fun place for everyone. The Giants game was on, and everyone was having a blast. Us included! And, as
everybody always says, the wings were great. And wings plus beer are a timeless pairing. Probably the only time our moms feigned embarrassment was when I took a picture of them with the faint image of a Hooters Girl and a poster advertising the 2009 Hooters Calendar in the background so as to set the stage.I think I could have handled the tight Hooters shirts when I was a bit younger. But the shorts? Oh no, I don't think I could have carried off the shorts. But I definitely recommend the place as a good spot to enjoy a beer, some wings, and a game. (I give Hooters two boobs up!)
No comments:
Post a Comment