Sunday, October 4, 2009

Beets!

I am so proud of my beets. Sure, they took quite a beating from our wet, wet summer. Lost a few good ones in the rains. Planted some others in a spot where they didn't get enough sun, as you can see from the moss growing on the north side of the house in the July 3 photo at left. But overall I think it was a pretty good first effort.

I planted two types: Regular old Chicago hybrid beets, for the taste, and some nifty organic Chioggia beets I bought in recyclable plastic pouches at Whole Foods, for the red-and-white stripes you see when you cut into one.

I learned, aside from the fact that they need more sun and less rain, that I ought to have planted them a bit deeper (I think too much of the tops were sticking out of the ground and got too dry). I also learned that beet greens are delicious, and so much more of a bonus than my longtime favorite leafy green, Swiss chard, in that you can also eat the root of the beet. They took excellent care of themselves, first, when they quickly grew tall enough for me to easily distinguish them from weeds, and later, when they grew strong enough to overtake the weeds, hence allowing me to avoid weeding altogether.

I also learned that I should have planted more of them. But next year I certainly will. My compost pile is already cooking in anticipation. I picked up two packets of the Chioggias, just in case, only using half of one packet this year because they don't expire till after next summer. But the regular old red hybrids were actually a bit tastier, sweeter and more robust, even creamier, be that an appropriate beet descriptive.


Pictured above is what I think is the take-home message. From start to finish! I couldn't be prouder.

No comments: