Sunday, February 24, 2008

Drink!

Update on beverages enjoyed lately and frequently, and where I found them:

-- Craggy Range wine. From a winery I visited in New Zealand. I have had not much luck finding it in the U.S. Every time I am in NYC, where there is at least one wine shop to find it at, I forget to get some. Attempts, through my local wine superstore, to get some to hitch a ride to the 'burbs have proven futile. So imagine my excitement when I found some Craggy--the 2006 Te Muna Road Sauvignon Blanc--right out in the open at a local wine shop whilst visiting a friend! Found at The Spirited Gourmet in Belmont, Mass. It's no 2006 from the Avery Vineyard ("the herbaceous one," and, as I just read on the CR Web site, not sold in the U.S.; I should have looked it up first before asking at said wine superstore). Nevertheless: Score.

-- Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc Reserva, 2006. The 2007 recently received rave reviews from Wine Spectator, but judging from the company's web site there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between the vintages. A good sign, because the 2006 is awesomely affordable: I've been getting it for $8.99 a bottle at the Stew Leonard's wine store in Danbury, and it's only slightly more expensive at the cute, friendly little wine shop with all the cool old French wines in Farmington. (Uh ... name ... escapes me ...)

--Trapiche, from Argentina. I like the Malbec, of which I was drinking the 2005 until they ran out at my local liquor superstore (note: different from my local wine superstore). Then I started on the 2006. Both are excellent for a one-drink-while-I watch-TV-and-stave-off-heart-disease kind of weeknight drinker.

No comments: