Sunday, April 13, 2008

Early Bird Special

One more post from Florida.

So there's this pizza place my cousin heard about, this one that has an old organ in it. From the 1920s. This place is supposed to have really good pizza. And oh yeah. It's in Florida.

I'm not sure which part of all of that didn't give us a clue that we were going to be the youngest people there. By a LOT.

It's called (warning: organ music ahead) Roaring 20's, "Pizza and Pipes." We figured we would go there for dinner one day since we were in the area. After doing some outlet shopping and visiting an actual old plantation (sugar), we figured we'd just get there early and wait. So we pull in, and not only is there a line (see above), but I look to the right and see a bunch of people still waiting in their cars. Look to the left -- same thing. They don't open until 5 p.m. Did I mention the photo above was taken at 4:32 p.m.? And that was after I composed myself enough to take out my camera.

All in all, it was pretty cool. Good pizza; cheap, cold beer; and awesome ambience. Yes, there's an organ, and a guy who plays it. (And yes, he played "Take Me Out To The Ballgame.") Yes, there are souvenirs (CDs, postcards, and even rulers). So it now replaces Dish as my current "I should bring this idea home with me and open one of these" dining experiences from Florida.
And yes, we did get hit on as we left the restaurant. There was still a line out the door, and we walked out, one frisky old gent called out to us, "Hey, leaving so soon?!"

No comments: