Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Martha, Martha, Martha!

I cannot believe I forgot to tell you that I saw Martha Stewart.


I mean, I saw Martha Stewart and I saw Martha Stewart. Fortunately it was a food-based episode so it makes perfect sense to tell you about it here, I'm not just namedropping because I was in the same room as Martha Stewart and breathed the same air as Martha Stewart or laughed at Martha Stewart's jokes or anything,

There were other people there. Such as Curtis Granderson. He's one of the New York Yankees! And this guy, Adam Richman, who wrote a book about food and eats lots of it on TV. He's on the Travel Channel like, all the time. His mom was in the audience which was soo cute.

It was a particularly delicious episode: macaroni and cheese was made, discussions of food anthropology took place (see also, Adam Richman's book, which we received copies of but I haven't yet finished reading), and we watched as Martha went on a pretaped "date" with some hilarious MTV News guys I didn't know (they went to the restaurant Daniel.) Also! Excellent swag bags with loads of free stuff!

So yeah, went to see Martha Stewart. It was definitely my favorite TV-taping experience ever. I've previously seen Emeril Live (also about food! The only swag item was a little bag of super spicy potato chips. It was in October or November 2001, their first taping after 9/11, and so there was an awful lot of "Yeah! New York! We love ya! Bam!" that's probably puzzling if that episode still airs), the Daily Show (no swag, forget who the guest was but it was someone funny), and The Late Show with David Letterman (also no swag but pretty sure I heard myself "woo!" on TV and Hootie and the Blowfish played "Let Her Cry.").

Anyway, at Martha, I had the best seats ever. Got to sit on the floor, right next to the fake greenhouse area of the set! (Those are real plants in there.) And oh yes, because you want to know but are too classy to ask: Martha was really pretty and really skinny -- um, not "skinny," exactly, more like "svelte" -- in real life. And was only like, 15 feet away from me when she rolled beeswax candles with the MTV guys, who made jokes with Martha about their mad skillz at rolling things. (It was a pot-smoking joke! OMG! In front of Martha!!)

No comments: